Sunday, December 20, 2009

Coming to (North) America


During my visit to the states, I look forward to…
• Not sweating.
• Sleeping in passed 6am, with no mosquito net, and without daily readings from Animal Farm: ”moo...cluck…woof…oink…kill, Napoleon!”
• Playing, I’m the coolest Uncle, with my nieces and nephews.
• Having a 4x4 quadruple-patty IN-n-Out burger, animal style fries, and an ice-cold Dr. Pepper! Mmm…hell yeah!
• Wearing my kafiyah + wool coat = deathtrap in balls-hot El Salvador.
• Watching some REAL fireworks…the non-bomb/gunshot sounding variety.
• Eating Indian food!
• Getting my teeth cleaned…yeah, Peace Corps is getting a little cheap and will only pay for one annual cleaning. In fact, they keep telling us that cleaning your teeth once a year is the same as getting it done every 6 months. I mean, come on, who the hell are they trying to fool?
• Drinking tap water and not having to worry about amebas alienating my insides.
• Using high-speed internet to download all the new tunes.
• Riding public transportation without the friendly extortionists.
• HOT showers!
• Playing Scrabble with competitive people…oh and no offense to the crybabies, but you guys need to sit this one out.
• 24hr coffee shops.
• Paying $10 for a movie! hahaha…ok, so this one’s clearly a joke. But, seriously, I could buy like 20 or 40 papusas with that much dough.
• Hanging out with brown people that don’t speak a word of Spanish.
• Hanging out with people that do speak Spanish.
• Sharing pictures and stories to those that care to listen.
• Not having my community health promoter accidentally prick me with a rabies vaccine this was clearly meant for Ramses. Yes, this actually happened and, if I’m lucky enough to live and see next week, I’ll be more than happy to tell you the story.
• Kissing Maryam’s cheeks :)
• All the little things that don’t seem so little anymore…I guess being a PCV in El Salvador has that effect.

**Ojalá, vaya a estar en los estados desde Dec. 27 - Jan. 6, 2010!**

No comments:

Post a Comment